Please write/type responses to the following questions and prompts. Information and all notes related to these concepts due at the end of second period. Please make sure to include a proper heading at the top of your paper. If you cannot answer certain prompts, please write a brief message explaining why you cannot provide the proper response.
PART ONE: Tragedy
- Please provide the definition of classical tragedy according to Aristotle.
- What are the five traits that makes a tragic hero?
- What is peripeteia?
- What is the definition of hamartia? How is this word commonly mis-defined?
- What is catharsis? What purpose does it serve in a classical tragedy?
PART TWO: Crash Course Tragedy / Oedipus Rex
- Write a summary of the Crash Course Tragedy video link.
- Who is the presenter in the video? What has he contributed to society that most people are familiar with?
- What is the basic story of Oedipus Rex, as presented by the video?
- Why is Oedipus Rex the perfect example of a tragedy?
When you finish this assessment, please move onto the next assignment on the main course page.